This is one of those rare finds that makes me SO happy… this is a recipe that tastes like warm, yummy, fatty-goodness comfort food… but it’s TOTALLY healthy and filled with super foods! Yayy! And you know what the ultimate proof is that this soup is delicious? My picky-eater hubby LOVES it. Even with all the greens! Now if you’re the type of person that gets a little freaked out by all the kale, swiss chard, or whatever other dark, leafy greens are thrown into this… don’t be. You seriously don’t even notice them in this dish. I should also add that it’s pretty easy to make. The only time consuming part is chopping up the sweet potatoes. I owe Martha Stewart a thank you, because I found the original recipe on her site.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound sweet Italian chicken sausage, casings removed
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced medium
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup small pasta shells (I use whole wheat)
- 2-3 cups roughly chopped mixed greens, such as kale and Swiss chard
- Grated Parmesan, for sprinkling on top
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high. Throw in your diced onion and garlic and cook for about 5-6 mins, then season with salt and pepper. Add the sausage and break apart while cooking until browned (about 5 mins).
- Add the diced sweet potatoes, broth, and 2 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Next, throw in your pasta and cook a few minutes less than the package instructions. Reduce to a simmer, add greens, and cook until pasta is tender and greens are wilted, about 4-5 mins.
- Pour into bowls, sprinkle with some parmesan cheese and savor all the warm and yummy goodness!